Wrocławskie Zakłady Zielarskie “Herbapol” S.A. is the oldest and the biggest as well, manufacturer of herbal medicines in Poland.
Herbal production was started already in June of 1945, at the factory in Legnica. It soon appeared that this factory could not meet the growing demand for herbal medicines. And so, in the 50s in Wrocław, at Księcia Witolda Street – Wrocławska Wytwórnia Produktów Zielarskich (Wrocław Manufacturer of Herbal Products) was established, of the same production profile as the factory in Legnica. Simultaneously, Zakład Surowców Zielarskich (Herbal Works) was established in Wrocław.
Both factories were merged in 1961 and named Wrocławskie Zakłady Zielarskie “Herbapol“. Two years later Legnicka Wytwórnia Produktów Zielarskich (Legnica Manufacturer of Herbal Products) joined this company.
Wrocławskie Zakłady Zielarskie “Herbapol” have had six factories since 1963 – two in Wrocław and one in each of the following locations: Legnica, Stanowice, Nysa and Kluczbork. The first three manufacture pharmaceuticals exclusively, while three others deal with collection and purchase of raw materials and their sorting and drying.
The company was transformed from state-owned factory into a joint stock company in 1993.
Five factories remained within the structure of the company after reorganization in 2008 – two in Wrocław and one in each of the following locations: Legnica, Nysa and Stanowice.